What is Slow Food San Gabriel Valley?
Slow Food San Gabriel Valley is a local chapter of an international organization called Slow Food. The premise is very simple, we support anything and everything that is the opposite of today’s fast-paced, fast food culture. Our local chapter strives to be a unifying force behind all the communities and organizations in the SGV which are working to promote a local, sustainable, and fair food economy. Through our various initiatives we hope to educate and inform the community we serve about the benefits of good, clean, fair food and help to increase the supply of such food in the community. We are also working to help other local groups and organizations such as non-profits, schools, farms, and community gardens, connect and share ideas.
For our first two years, we have set some ambitious goals for ourselves, here are a few:
1. Incubate more urban farming projects
2. Start a community gleaning program
3. Create and sustain school gardens
4. Encourage more restaurants to support local farmers and local food
5. Create a grant to support local food initiatives
6. Educate the community about economical benefits of the local food movement through classes and workshops
7. Connect and reorganize food banks and pantries with local resources
8. Highlight issues germane to the local economy and local farms, such as cottage industry legislation